So today is the deadline. I’ve finished with it. I’m putting it in the mail this morning. Done. I should receive a proof back to look over in about a week or so.
Is it everything I hoped? Not really. It is a first film with many foibles and gaffs and errors and that I have learned from. I still think the story is very good and the actors gave some very good performances.
The problems with this film were not the actors or the script, but my inexperience in directing, filming and most importantly editing. I apologize to everyone that I couldn’t put together a better project. But I learned a ton and future projects will be exponentially better for what I’ve learned.
I’m not making this available through createspace and Amazon because I think it’ll sell, just that they put together much nicer packaging than I ever could. Also, if you could care less about the packaging and just want to see the movie, give me an email and I’ll point you to the dropbox site where it can be downloaded for free.
I am still tentatively trying to figure out a day where we can through a cast party/viewing.
I want to thank all of the good people who helped me, the actors, guest directors, guest editors, makeup people, parents and especially the musicians who I think put together two awesome songs–I listen to “Someone you’d want to know” on my ipod every day.
Monsters is over now. I feel good that I finished a movie–from start to finish. Now, I’ll spend the next couple of months working on the Yellow Ball website and tinkering with a new script, while I wait to purchase a new camera.
Happy Holidays to everyone and hope to meet up again with you real soon.
99% of the editing is done. I’m in the process of writing it out to DVD and making sure it will play on an assortment of DVD players. One or two more scans through with it and then hopefully a viewing for the cast soon.
Hoping to have it shipped off to the distributor next Monday.
Time to start working on another script.
OK, guys, I actually made real progress this last weekend. If I can get more days like Saturday, I should make my December 1st goal. Big if…
Hoping to get some audio work in this Sunday afternoon….
So yesterday morning the laptop I’ve been editing Monsters on booted up and the screen stayed black. It’s no fun hearing the stupid windows “chime” and not seeing anything on the screen.
So, editing is being delayed until the Dell rep can come out and replace half of my laptop…
I was actually getting somewhere.
Does anybody out there have Adobe Premiere and After Effects? Anybody willing to help me out with editing…
As I continue to dance with the weirdness of scene 15 of Monsters, a myriad of other ideas come crushing down on my most inexperienced head. There is so much to do to finish this movie by the Dec. 1st self deadline I’ve given myself.
Now granted, I have reached out to several very talented artists who have agreed to throw in some time to help…but it is still very overwhelming.
Not only do I have to cut and knife and demean my movie down another 30+ minutes atleast, I am now caught in the web of what is a horrible trap–sound! Sound is evil. How movies are ever made outside of a studio bubble is a miracle to me. The wind is my enemy, gravel is the devil, and stray sticks and footing make the foulest of unholy trinities. And don’t get me started on mumbling.
I realize that it has been over a year since primary shooting wrapped on my massive project and I further realize that people, especially people you’ve never paid anything more than food, water, or pizza, are going to have their own real lives, but now I am having a really hard time getting the principle players I need back (at the same time) to re-record the audio. If I can’t get cast members back together, perhaps I can record the separately..and how will that sound? Then I have to figure out how to make this audio actually fit the footage…then….my head may explode.
I also have to send some scenes to our musicians to try to spice up some transitions and hopefully help a bunch with the very, very slow pacing.
I have made many, many mistakes during this project. I’m sure my wife would count “starting” as fairly high on the list. Sending my footage off to another editor with the starry eyed notion that it would come back pristine and perfect and, most of all, finished was probably one of my worst mistakes. I still love the idea of having an editor completely separate from the director…but not if that person isn’t within driving distance.
The ability to be able to readily and consistently annoy, pester and cajole each other cannot be taken lightly.
Issues with my timetables could also be considered a mistake, although I think I would argue that to some extent. Granted, the original three week filming schedule was very rough and it did go over by three or four weeks. What the frantic schedule did allow for was a unique sense of urgency, which I feel led to both enhanced productivity, but also some mistakes. In the future I would continue on with a “shorter” schedule, but not as short as I did for Monsters. I’d also hope that I’ll have an improved organizational plan in place for filming–probably even a story board.
Anyway, back to the Premiere/After Effects Editing party that it feels I may never escape…
officially have gone through scenes 3-14 and am now pretty happy with them. This makes up about a third of the movie. Many thanks to Scott again for helping.
Also, I’m charging on to the very meat of the movie and again facing the very real circumstance of having to call back actors for re-dubbing some very bad audio.
My first projected date for this is September 19th, I’ve already talked to some of you, but haven’t heard from everyone. Please let me know if this date will work for you, I will be picking another day in October also.